Saturday, August 13, 2016

Love It, Use It, or Lose It

Last weekend I had to repeat the mantra "Love It, Use It, or Lose it" to myself repeatedly as I reluctantly snapped pictures of my scrapbook supplies.  It was time to let go....


I do speak a lot about clutter and specifically on how to get rid of it.  If anyone wants my advice on how to clean their closets, cars, cupboards, office, (etc...), I always address the clutter issue.  If the items cause you stress or prevents you from using the space for what makes you happy, then get rid of it!  I can talk a big game and give my advice freely, even if sometimes unwanted!  However, even I struggle with taking my advice and am learning as I go.

You might recall a previous post where I described how my stuff in the basement was making me unhappy because it was preventing me from having the family/gaming basement area I've always wanted.  I also used calculations so I could show you how much I was paying per month to keep this stuff that I don't use and is keeping me from enjoying my basement.  I also admitted that I hadn't done anything to remedy my situation because I was procrastinating.  Procrastination comes from being overwhelmed.  I really didn't know where to start.

Last week I decided to do something to start the basement organization project!!  I did it with parting with the most difficult items to lose, my scrapbook supplies.  Those papers, cutters, stickers, and I have a very long relationship.  Roughly around 13 years ago I decided I wanted to start scrapping.  I bought the Creative Memories cutting systems and would hit up scrapbook stores and garage sales for stamps and other cute items.  I had the best of intentions, but never did make more than a few pages over the years.  I realized things along the way.  I'm not an artistically inclined person.  It actually was not fun for me, it was stressful.  My bins and boxes of supplies became an unused reminder of good intentions.

So, 13 years later after starting my collection, I snapped the pictures and posted them for sale on the local Facebook classifieds group.  Within 15 minutes I had an offer to buy ALL of my supplies.  An hour later I was helping the buyer haul it all out to her car.  She was excited because scrap booking is a hobby she and her daughter want to start as an activity to do together.  After I found that out it made the parting much easier.

Parting with clutter can be difficult.  I have read many books about the subject and here are a few quick points to follow:
  • Love It, Use It, or Lose It?  If your answer is Love It, analyze why you love it.  Is it for sentimental reasons?  Do you have items in bins that you haven't opened in many years?  Then that proves the memories are what is special, not the items. 
  • Never take things to your parents to store, even temporarily.  You will never retrieve the items.  Parents, do not let your grown children store items at your house.  They will never retrieve them.
  • Never let your mother know what you are giving away.  She will either try to talk you out of it or insist on taking the items to her house, where they will just be clutter!!
  • It's okay to not keep gifts.  The item served it's purpose by bringing joy to you when you received it and bringing joy to the giver.
Some of these ideas are contraversial. But I'm not here to bull shit. Do you want your life to be organized?  Some of you might need a swift kick in the ass to get started...  I know I did!

Until next time,

Your Home Organization Consultant

Join discussions, interact live, win prizes, and find out more about Clever Container by joining my Facebook group!

6 comments:

  1. I'd hire you to help me de clutter, but airfare alone would break the budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you need from me, my dear? I can try to help you from WY!

      Delete
    2. I guess at such distance the only you can do is keep reminding me I don't need most the stuff I have.

      Delete
  2. Love this especially the last 2 lines! Parting with presents is so hard for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie! I know.. it is hard for a lot of people and used to be for me. But then I started storing bins full of gifts that I would never use.

      Delete
  3. Love this especially the last 2 lines! Parting with presents is so hard for me

    ReplyDelete